SOF Space 2040 Event
26-27 July 2023
Submissions Closed 07 July 11:59 PM ET
U.S. Citizens Only
SOFWERX, in collaboration with USSOCOM J59 Concept Development and Integration – Experimentation (J59 CDI-E) will host a Table-Top Exercise (TTX) in Orlando, FL, which intends to bring together Industry, Academia, Government, and futurists in an exploration, design thinking, facilitated event to assist USSOCOM in decomposing future scenarios and missions.
The theme of the TTX is “SOF Space 2040: Integrating SOF into the Space Domain,” and the event is intended to envision the future operating environment (FOE) within the space domain in order to understand the potential impact of these uncharted areas of operation, which will require the US military to protect US national interests.
There have been rapid and transformative developments in the Space Domain, with many countries increasing their investments and interest in space, growth in new technologies and platforms, and significant activity from commercial players. These developments range from an exponential deployment of satellites in Low Earth Orbit (LEO); to more capable launch vehicles and spacecraft with greater payloads; and planned missions to exploit cislunar space and colonize the Moon and Mars. The number of space-related applications is far-reaching and includes communications, imaging, mining, manufacturing, exploration, tourism, scientific research, intelligence, military power, and human settlement.
Deliverables for the TTX will include answers to the questions listed below and related concepts of interest to USSOCOM J59 CDI-E.
Why You Should Participate
USSOCOM seeks to enter into non-FAR or FAR-based agreements with Industry, Academic, and National Lab partners whose solutions are favorably evaluated by USSOCOM SOF AT&L S&T Directorate and J-59 Subject Matter Experts (SMEs). This serves dually as notification of the intent to research the feasibility of an agreement under 10 U.S. Code, Section 4022 and/or Section 4022(f), and as notice of pre-solicitation activities IAW FAR 5.204.
The event will be a compelling opportunity for leading minds in Industry, Academia, Labs, and Government, as well as Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to collaborate and ideate with other experts.
By participating, you will join a diverse group of experts in fields including space, defense, technology, gaming, manufacturing, robotics, science fiction, and international relations, and human factors who will gather to paint a picture of how you see the space domain in 2040, identify what challenges and opportunities could arise, and discuss how any challenges could be addressed.
You will network with other experts and use design thinking to explore concepts from future technology areas. The TTX is not limited to SOF-specific solutions; however, the outputs of the event should be aligned and/or designed to support USSOCOM operations when envisioning new mission sets for future Special Operations Forces (SOF) personnel in Space – whether on earth, on orbit, in cislunar space, on the lunar surface, or elsewhere.
If you are an expert in any of the following areas of interest or in related fields, please consider participating in the TTX.
Human Aspects of Space
What you will do at the SOF Space 2040 Event:
- Describe what might be the characteristics of the Space Domain in 2040 and beyond.
- Describe what might be the predominant technologies within the future Space environment of 2040 and beyond.
- Describe what might be the challenges that will be faced in space in 2040 and beyond.
- Describe what concepts might lead to solutions that address these challenges.
- Describe what planning might be done starting now to address these challenges.
- Describe what investments should or might be made to ensure that DOD has the right technologies, processes, people, and resources to succeed.
Completed Phase 1 – 09 June 2023 to 07 July 2023 Submissions Open: Futurists and visionaries from industry, academia, government and national labs who are experts in the areas of interest listed above are encouraged to participate in the SOF Space 2040 Event by submitting a CV *(Curriculum Vitae) below NLT 07 July.
*Please note: each individual must submit their own CV for possible SME selection for the event
Completed Phase 2 – 07 July 2023 to 10 July 2023 SME Review: The SOCOM J59 Team, in coordination with SOCOM’s S&T Directorate Futures Team, will review SME submissions and notify SOFWERX of invited participants. SOFWERX will notify participants of their attendance status o/a 10 July.
Completed Phase 3 – 26 July 2023 to 27 July 2023 SOF Space 2040 Event: During the event, selected participants will collaborate and ideate with fellow subject matter experts on the concept areas above. Selectees should plan for workdays from 0800-1700 ET.
This event will be held in person at Central Florida Tech Grove in Orlando, FL.
Phase 4 – Path Forward: The Government will further develop an acquisition/development strategy and issue subsequent guidance to industry after which successfully negotiated awards may fall under any combination of these categories:
- Business to business research and development agreement as a sub-award through the SOFWERX Partnership Intermediary Agreement (PIA) (15 U.S. Code Section 3715)
- OTA for research or prototype projects (10 U.S. Code Sections 4021, 4022)
- An award under 10 U. S. Code, Section 4022 may result in the further award of a follow-on production agreement without additional competition based on successful prototype completion. The Government may make this follow-on production award based upon successful prototype criteria, which will be determined for each prototype project.
- Procurement for experimental purposes (10 U.S. Code Section 4023)
- Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (15 U.S. Code Section 3710a)
- Prizes for advanced technology achievements (10 U. S. Code Section 4025) and/or prize competitions (15 U.S. Code 3719)
- FAR-based procurement contract
NOTE: Awardees may need to be compliant with NIST SP 800-171, Protecting Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) in Non-Federal Systems and Organizations
For event-related questions, please contact Gabby Robles, firstname.lastname@example.org