Versatile Integrated Protection with Encumbrance Reduction (VIPER)
Virtual Assessment Event
A Joint, Accelerator for Innovative Minds (AIM) Project
08 September 2020
Submit NLT 13 August 11:59 PM EST
SOFWERX, in concert with USSOCOM, the Joint Program Executive Office for Chemical Biological Radiological and Nuclear Defense (JPEO CBRND), the U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command Chemical Biological Center (CCDC CBC), and the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA), will host a series of events to identify technologies to develop the Next Generation CBRN Mask for the CWMD community. The collaborative AIM CWMD group intends to align transition pathways across the full technology spectrum, regardless of maturity.
Next Generation CBRN Mask Focus Areas
- Reducing User Burden
- Tailored Protection
- Face Seal
Completed Phase 1 – 26 May 2020 Virtual Government Only Collaboration Event (CE): The Government only session will allow Government Stakeholders to prioritize their desirements regarding the Next Generation CBRN Mask. The outcomes of this session will be posted o/a 29 May. The Government only group will determine trade space and translate lessons learned across all levels of protection of Next Generation CBRN Mask including: Low, Medium and High levels of protection across the following threat levels: unanticipated threat, combat support, tactical ops, and hazardous response.
Completed Phase 2 – 25 June 2020 Industry, Academia, and National Lab Virtual Collaboration Event (CE): Government, Industry, Academia, and Lab participants will participate in direct dialogue with Warfighters and Government Subject Matter Experts related to the desirements. Participation in the Collaboration Event is not mandatory, however, it is designed to provide insights to ensure potential offerors understand the desirements fully to increase the likelihood of matching their technologies with Warfighter needs. Interested respondents must submit an RSVP form below, NLT 19 June, to attend.
Phase 3 – 29 June 2020 to 13 August 2020 Submissions Open: Interested respondents who could potentially provide solutions that meet the needs of the Government Stakeholders are encouraged to submit their solutions per the instructions below.
- Questions Due – 10 July 2020 NLT 11:59 PM EST: Interested offerors may submit questions regarding specific technology objectives or in preparation of their white paper or quad chart. Responses to questions will be posted at the bottom of this website after 15 July.
Phase 4 – 14 August 2020 to 25 August 2020 Downselects: USSOCOM will downselect those respondents/submissions they feel have the highest potential to satisfy their technology needs. Companies with favorably evaluated submissions will receive an invitation o/a 25 August.
Phase 5 – 08 September 2020 Assessment Event (AE): During the virtual event, invited participants will be allotted a one-on-one session with the Government evaluation panel to pitch, demonstrate, and/or discuss their solutions. The forum will include a Q&A portion and discussions may continue outside of the event to determine who (if anyone) proceeds to Phase 6 follow-on efforts.
Phase 6 – Follow-On: Successfully negotiated awards may fall under any combination of these categories:
- Other Transaction Agreements under 10 U.S. Code, Section 2371 or 2371b* (prototyping/production follow-on)
- Procurement contract for experimental purposes 10 U. S. Code, Section 2373
Business to business research and development agreement as a sub-award (15 U.S. Code, Section 3715)
- Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (15 U.S. Code, Section 3710a)
- *An award under 10 U. S. Code, Section 2371b may result in the further award of a follow-on production agreement without additional competition based on successful prototype completion. The Government may make this follow-on production award even if all successful prototype criteria are not fully met during the prototype project.
How You Can Participate
Industry, Academia, National Labs, and Non-Traditionals
- Review Capabilities of Existing Masks: Click Here to View Existing Mask Capabilities
- Review the Phase 1 Collaboration Event Desirement Outcomes: Click Here to Review
- Review Phase 2 Collaboration Event Briefing Slides: Click Here to Review
- Submit Questions for USSOCOM: Click Here to Submit (NLT 10 July)
- (Optional) Submit Teaming Opportunity Form: Click Here to Submit (NLT 10 July)
- Download the White Paper Template: Click Here to Download
- Download the Quad Chart Template: Click Here to Download
- Submit White Paper and Quad Chart: Click Here to Submit (NLT 13 August 11:59 PM EST)